It was early morning and NOM sat on a rock in front of his cardboardbox house. It wasn’t a particularly nice day. The clouds hung in the sky waiting to pour out some rain. It wasn’t warm but it wasn’t very cold either. Everything was clean in NOM’s cardboard box so there was nothing to do in there. NOM sat on the rock doing nothing in particular. He watched some butterflies chasing each other but looked away because he was jealous of their cheerfulness. Then he picked up a piece of dry grass and played with it, but cut himself so he quickly threw it away. There was nothing else to do so he just stared into the distance. In short: NOM was extremely bored.
Then out of the blue NOM saw a big turtle crawl up the hill towards the carboard box house. It reached the top and started cheering. “YES I made it, I made it.” and did a little dance around a tree. NOM laughed. It was funny seeing a turtle dancing around a tree like that. NOM-ilarious.
the turtle that is never bored! 🙂
“Why are you laughing at me?” The turtle suddenly stopped dancing and looked at NOM.
NOM stopped laughing and sat up. “I…I’m sorry..I was just bored and suddenly there’s you dancing around a tree which is kind of funny…I mean for when you are bored like me.”
Now it was the turtle’s turn to laugh. “You….are bored?” It laughed so much, it almost rolled back down the hill.
“Why is it so funny that I’m bored?”, NOM asked confused. He felt a little sad after the turtle’s sudden outburst of laughter.
Finally the turtle stopped laughing and looked at NOM. “You can never EVER get bored because…”
The turtle smiled and crawled towards the rock NOM was sitting on. “Because there are too many things you can do in life.”
“Really? But I can’t think of anything else to do. I’ve cleaned the cardboard box, eaten lunch and finished making my new pillow. I’ve…”
“That’s not a very good excuse. There is always something to do. Always. Here take this notebook and read through the list. It’ll give you some good inspiration.” The turtle handed NOM a small blue notebook that looked like it had been used a lot.
wouldn’t it be awesome to have a book like that? 🙂
“Make yourself comfortable on the grass, read the book and you’ll soon be inspired! While you are reading I willl practise my dance.”
“Thank you turtle!”, NOM said and opened the first page of the notebook. He began to read the list on the first page:
If you are bored, this is what you could do:
- 1. read a magazine about polaroid cameras
- 2. bake sesame seed cake
- 3. invent a new sesame seed recipe
- 4. decorate your cardboard box and put new photos on its walls
‘This is odd”, NOM thought after reading the first few suggestions. “It seems like this book was written for me. Only for me. But surely other people would have read it too.” Confused, but smiling NOM kept reading the list.
- 5. buy a new hat
- 6. draw a picture of yourself (or something else)
- 7. walk up the hill and take a picture of the sunset.
- 8. visit the lake nearby and go swimming (or learn swimming if you don’t know how to)
- 9. play with your pet- you dont’t have one? Then buy one!
- 10. make a vision board- https://kathialf.wordpress.com/2012/09/26/noms-vision-board/
- 11. buy a thing called ‘iphone’ and play games on it 🙂
- 12. read a book (make sure you pick an interesting one)
- 13. go into town and meet new people (or your friends)
- 14. watch a moooovie (if you don’t have a TV in your cardboard box, visit a cinema)
- 15. pick a country and find out everything about it on the internet (or in books)
- 16. write a story or a book (either is good)
- 17. try out a new sport (basketball, badminton, karate, volleyball, taekwondo, horse riding?)
- 18. play an instrument (this could be any; you can even make your own 🙂 )
- 19. listen to some good music and dance to it!
- 20. write a letter to someone you love ❤
- 21. write a list of your own things you can do when you are bored…. (if you are creative this list could fill up more than 10 books!)
NOM closed the book and jumped up from the rock. Suddenly he was super-excited.
“Thank you turtle! I know sooooo many things I’m going to do now! This is great!”
The turtle stopped its dance around the tree and smiled.
“I told you. There are too many things you can do in life.”
NOM grabbed the notebook and said: “Come on let’s go to the village and grab a sesame seed milkshake, then we can go for a walk up the hill and plan our invention and later at night we can make our own board game in my cardboardbox!”
The turtle just grinned and followed NOM down the hill. It was going to be a great afternoon.
Do you ever get bored? If yes, I hope this list has given you some inspiration as to what you can do when you catch yourself lazily playing with some grass or sitting on the couch doing nothing in particular. 🙂 And besides, you can’t just be bored. Being bored is a decision. You decide wether you are bored or not. But that’s a whole other story…