NOM had been very unmotivated lately. Sure, he had lots of things to do, like taking care of his garden, cleaning the caravan, taking walks, painting pictures and doing grocery shopping. But he felt like none of the things he did were particularly productive. Everything he did seemed almost useless.
Then, when he was cleaning out his magazines that spilled the kitchen table a note caught his eye. Smart, his turtle friend had given it to him a couple of days ago for ‘motivation’, but NOM hadn’t bothered looking at it.
Have you set your GOALS for 2013 yet?
NOM, now curious flipped the note and read the back:
The reason why so many people are unsuccessful in life, is becasue they don’t set goals. Or if they do, they set the wrong goals. Do you want to be the same as those people? NO! So, I’m telling you, set some goals right now. What do you really want to have achieved by the end of the year? Write it down….
NOM stopped reading and experienced one of those ‘light bulb’ moments, when everything suddenly made sense.
That was it! He had to set goals! Why hadn’t NOM realised this before? He quickly finished reading the note…
…(be sure to be specific) and then make a plan of exactly how you are going to achieve your goal! When you are done, you just need to follow your plan and do something everyday to make your dreams happen. I’m going to leave the rest to figure out for yourself. Go now and set your goals (3 or 4 are enough).
Awesome! NOM was getting excited now. This was exactly what he needed to do.
And he started writing down his goals on a nice sheet of paper:
- 1. Write a 150- page long book about my adventures (finished by 12th of December this year)
- 2. Win the “Best Garden in Town” competition (it’s on the 23rd of November this year)
- 3. Travel to 3 different countries this year (1 each in Asia, Europe and America)
- 4. Make $500 a month through the internet, by the end of the year
NOM put his pen down and sat back. He was very happy with his goals. They were specific and 100% achievable. Now he needed to make a plan for each of his goals….
Write a 150-page long book about my adventures by 12th of December:
- Have a finished draft by 3rd of August 2013.
- To do that I have to write 30 pages a month
- To write 30 pages a month I have to write 1 page a day!
NOM got out his diary and dedicated a time just for writing everyday. He also needed some time for his adventures (so he had something to write about) and planning time. He also included that. First goal was planned! Now he just needed to stick with it!
He did the same thing with all the other goals by:
- first finding out what he had to do in order to achieve his goal
- then setting exact deadlines for each of those “to-do’s”
- after that he broke down his goals into small chunks (what he had to achieve every month, then every week and then every day)
- and finally he wrote down everything in his diary
After all this was done, NOM stuck his goals on the wall above his bed. From now on he would look at them EVERY day!
NOM packed the note and some food in a bag and set off to find Smart to thank him for his wonderful note! Lucky he had found it now and not at the end of the year when it would have been waaaay to late to do anything!
How did you find this post? Have you set your goals for this year yet? If not, it’s not too late! Follow NOM’s steps and you’ll be on your way to achieving your goals and dreams! Have fun